Friday, August 18, 2017

Hunter Tabiendo: One Man Army


Who knew that a romantic teen novel would be translated into an action show onscreen? Certainly not this guy! Since season one, Hunter Tabiendo has been choreographing Fox's fights beginning with the Xander vs. Fox fight that was created to look like one shot! Of course, with movie wizard, Monroe Hayden by his side, tricks of the trade were made and the "one shot" fight scene was actually a scene composed of four but hey, we're not complaining. The only issue was, come season two- more fight scenes were required with fencing on the docket and Hayden is known for ruthlessly replacing personnel if they can't deliver or cause problems. Although most would run away with their tail between their legs, Tabiendo stepped up and showed us what he was made of and it even earned him a series regular role on the show come season three.

(Be sure to check out The Art of Ganadan Combat Featurette below)

Can you tell us about your experience working on Season 2?


It was awesome. There were a lot of challenges that we overcame as a team and individually. It's obvious but also uplifting knowing that so many lives at different stages, with different backgrounds, and different end goals- all came together to complete a thing, all believed in the thing, and we are all still dedicated to the thing. It's a wonderful thing.


Oron is your first acting experience. How was that?


Acting as Oron was fun and for the most part easy. Being able to conceive a character, pitch him to the showrunner, think of ways to introduce him to the show and then execute all of that on shooting day was fun. Knowing that I could create something and then directly represent that idea was a first for me. But watching myself act and listening back to my lines does let me know I can come back better. This was definitely a learning experience.



What inspirations did you take into choreographing your fight scenes?


I take a lot of experience from old school Kung Fu films. Specifically Shaw Bros./Shaw Scope films. Also, films coming from Indonesia and Thailand, such as The Raid or the Ong Bank Trilogy. For me, it all definitely starts with the characters and who is fighting who. With films like The 5 Deadly Venoms or The Crippled Avengers, there are extremely distinct and unique styles used by fighters on both sides of the conflict, and the story serves to introduce those characters only as an exhibit to showcase the choreography and martial prowess of the actors. Yet, Fox is much more than an action film, but I like to put as much dedication into my aspect of the show as I see everyone else doing. And so far, everyone else involved is gung-ho about what I'm bringing to the table and they become as passionate as I am to deliver the sequence. The reward is well worth the effort.


What was your experience working with the cast and crew?


In just one word, my experience is: Positive. In more than just a word it's wonderful to be part of a team again. I played a lot of Football throughout High School. I also wrestled and competed in power lifting but that was only two years. I was team captain my Freshman and Senior years. I've done nothing more in my life as long as I had played football and nothing has affected me as such. So being a part of a team again is very gratifying an watching the final product was fulfilling. Plus, everyone was fun on set. It's always great to meet new people and everyone who joined us on Fox is great.



What's something new about filming that you learned that you didn't know before Fox?


The amount of multi-tasking that is necessary. Production is not as sequential as the episodes appear and not as easy as making a checklist and finishing off tasks one by one. On the other hand, I've never done anything so rewarding as the end result and how i felt, was definitely something I never expected.


What advice would you give to other striving filmmakers? 


Prioritize. Know what can wait and know what you need done immediately. Make a schedule, create deadlines and hold yourself to them. Make sure to hold yourself accountable and don't be afraid to hold other people accountable for their actions. Draw your line in the sand and hold to it. There are a lot of moving pieces and you have to know when to change or replace anything, including personnel. If you have a vision, deliver. Don't hold back or let anything else hold you back.


Interview by: Liv Borromeo

Photos by Monroe Hayden



No comments:

Post a Comment