Saturday, September 9, 2017

Janelle Garcia: The Queen of Mean... not really...




Bow down and make way for SkySoft's newest fan favorite! After her deliciously wicked performance as Merila, fans from all over the world have grown a natural interest in who the woman is underneath the war paint. Today, we honor Janelle Garcia!


What was it like working on Season 2?

Season 2 was an exciting experience. I learned so much about this show. There is so much history and creativity involved in it that it was easy to get hooked! Plus, the highlights for me were when we got to see dogs on set, but sometimes they did not want to approach Merila!

What inspired you to pursue acting?
I found an interest in acting when I started to do some modeling/commercial work. Additionally, I have also been a dancer for 18 years. Dance has been a huge part of my life and with dance, I have performed in themed dances and shows. 

What did you learn?
How many times you have to perform the same scene over and over again to get different angles and shots for filming. Your scenes turn into choreography- same placement of your hands, repeat the same facial expressions- you have to know the scene and other actors lines as well to remember your cue.


What was your experience working with the cast and crew?

The support was incredible! For me, it was my first time with speaking roles and fighting. Especially the fighting...Janelle didn't know how to hold a dagger properly, but Merila did! Thankfully Fox has so much talent, I had a professional on set guiding me every step of the way. 



And because she's such a favorite, in her own right, I have to ask- what was it like to work with Monroe Hayden? 

She's professional and kind. She would help me understand my role and give me pointers, but she allowed me to get involved and bring my own creativity into my character. Monroe is also one of the nicest people I know. She would remember things I told her from my interview! As a friend and director, Monroe Hayden is an amazing person and I'm so fortunate to have worked with her!

What inspirations did you take to create Merila?

Specifically the Evil Queen , played by Lana Parrilla, from ABC's Once Upon a Time. The Evil Queen clearly has a dark side but to watch her character develop, there is much more to her than we thought. 


And before we part ways, what advice would you give to striving actors?

Always put yourself out there. Sometimes I have auditioned for roles/shows I wasn't sure I would be good at. I would practice and be excited to be there knowing that I'm trying something new. Think of auditions as practice. You are there to learn and meet and interact with people who have the same passions as you do.

Written by: Liv Borromeo
Photos by: Monroe Hayden

No comments:

Post a Comment